John Edward Sheard (1888-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SHEARD, JOHN EDWARD. Private. No 3/12767. 9th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Silk Street, Huddersfield 27.4.1888. Son of Mrs Mary Ann Catton, 6 Birkby Lodge Road, Birkby. Educated St. Patrick's Roman Catholic School, New North Road, Huddersfield. Employed as a yardman at Elland Station. Lived 4 Brunswick Yard, Upper Brunswick Street, Hopwood Lane, Halifax. Married. Enlisted November 1914. Had been in France for a year and had been wounded twice. Killed in action at Contalmaison during the Battle of the Somme on 7.7.1916, aged 28 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- Brother of Corporal JOSEPH WILLIAM SHEARD killed in action, 9.10.1917, and ROBERT HENRY SHEARD who died on 5.2.1920.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Corporal JOHN EDWARD SHEARD
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Friday, July 7, 1916
- record ID: 1552282
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1552282)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3992335)