John Edward Rothery (1895-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ROTHERY, JOHN EDWARD. Private. No 10230. 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Golcar 18.12.1895. Son of Mr and Mrs Alfred Rothery, 59 Clement Street, Birkby. Educated St. John's School, Hillhouse, Huddersfield. Employed as a goods porter by the London and North Western Railway Company at the Huddersfield Goods station. Single. Enlisted 8.8.1914. Embarked for France 20.9.1914. Gassed at Hill 60 and died the same day, 5.5.1915, aged 20 years. Buried DIVISIONAL CEMETERY, DICKEBUSCH ROAD, VLAMERTINGHE, BELGIUM. Grave location:- Row C, Grave 18.
- ROH:- St. Hilda's Church, Cowcliffe; Fartown and Birkby War Memorial; London and North Western Railway Company Roll.
- Brother of Private JOE ROTHERY died of wounds, 24.10.1918.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ROTHERY
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Wednesday, May 5, 1915
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 93388
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #93388)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3832477)