John Edward Charlesworth (1884-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- CHARLESWORTH, JOHN EDWARD. Private. No 7199. 1/9th Battalion Durham Light Infantry. Son of the late William Charlesworth of Liphill and Mrs Alfred Woodhead (formerly Charlesworth) of Towngate, Holmfirth. Educated at St. John's School, Holmfirth. Attended St. John's Parish Church and Sunday School and was a member of the choir. After leaving school was employed by Messrs Henry Mitchell and Sons for two years and then for Messrs Wallaces branch shop at Lockwood, at which branch he became manager, and was later transferred to the New Mill branch as manager. In partnership with a friend he commenced business at Horwich in the grocery and provision trade. Enlisted, 1916, and embarked for France in October, 1916.
- The family received a postcard from him, dated 5.11.1916, saying the following, 'I promised in my last letter to send you the nature of the next move. Well it will give you a shock as I am a German prisoner of war. We went over the top on November 5th and got cut off. I am not yet at a permanent place so that you will not be able to write. I hope you have not been too much alarmed at my letters ceasing. I did not get wounded at all and am at present living in barracks in France and am being treated alright.'
- The next time the family received any news from him was a postcard which arrived in Holmfirth on 19.3.1916, dated 31.12.1916. He wrote, 'I have been in hospital eleven days with my leg. It started swelling, blood poisoning I think. The doctor cut it slightly and it is going on alright. I've started knocking about in camp but have not started working outside yet.'
- On 1.4.1917, after enquiries through the British Red Cross, the family were told that he had died on 7.1.1917, aged 32 years. Buried ACHIET-LE-GRAND COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. Grave location:- Plot 4, Row N, Grave 1.
- ROH:- Holmfirth War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOHN EDWARD CHARLESWORTH
- regiment: Durham Light Infantry
- died: Sunday, January 7, 1917
- age: 32 years
- record ID: 294898
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #294898)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #782872)