John Durkin (c.1894-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- DURKIN, JOHN. Corporal. No 240216. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born 56 Northumberland Street, Huddersfield. Nephew of Miss Margaret Connolly, 11 Hawk Street, Huddersfield. Educated St. Patrick's Roman Catholic School. Employed as a weaver at Messrs T. and H. Blamires Limited, Leeds Road, Huddersfield. Single. Enlisted in the local Territorial battalion before the outbreak of war, on 13.6.1912. Reported missing at the Battle of Bullecourt, 3.5.1917, and afterwards presumed killed on that date. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Huddersfield Drill Hall; commemorated on his parents' headstone in Edgerton Cemetery, Huddersfield.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Corporal JOHN DURKIN
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, May 3, 1917
- record ID: 1540884
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1540884)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #2407889)