John Crosland Styring (1884-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- STYRING, JOHN CROSLAND. Private. No 11510. 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born 26.3.1884. Son of the late Mr and Mrs James Crosland Styring. Educated at Birkby School. Married, with three children. (His wife was expecting another child when he was killed). Lived 13 Clayton Fields, Birkby. Attended Highfield Church. Worked on his own account as a taxi-cab proprietor. Enlisted 10.9.1914. Served as an orderly despatch rider. Died from the effects of gas poisoning received at Hill 60 on 6.5.1915. He was 31 years of age. Has no known grave. Commemorated MENIN GATE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Fartown and Birkby War Memorial; commemorated on his parents' headstone in Paddock Churchyard.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOHN STYRING
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, May 6, 1915
- age: 31 years
- record ID: 915358
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #915358)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4127579)