Joe Willie Haigh (c.1883-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HAIGH, JOE WILLIE. Private. No 36155. 10th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment. Born Helme. Son of the late Allen and Sarah Haigh of Meltham. Husband of Mary Hannah Haigh, of Half Roods, Meltham. Employed as a joiner by Mr George Pogson of Meltham. Killed in action, 28.4.1917, aged 33 years. Buried CHILI TRENCH CEMETERY, GAVRELLE. Grave location:- Special Memorial C 5.
- ROH:- St. Bartholomew's Church, Meltham.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOE WILLIE HAIGH
- regiment: York and Lancaster Regiment
- died: Saturday, April 28, 1917
- age: 33 years
- record ID: 533266
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #533266)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1515800)