Joe Rothery (1883-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ROTHERY, JOE. Private. No 51935. 1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment. Formerly No 75534 West Yorkshire Regiment. Born Knowle Place, Golcar, in January, 1883. Son of Mr and Mrs Alfred Rothery, 59 Clement Street, Birkby. Educated Golcar National School. Employed as a woollen spinner by Messrs Middlemost Brothers and Company, of Birkby. Husband of Alice Rothery, 31 Blacker Road, Birkby. Enlisted 18.5.1918. Wounded near Cambrai on 23.10.1918. Died of wounds 24.10.1918, aged 36 years. Buried INCHY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION. Grave location:- Row B, Grave 36.
- Brother of Private JOHN EDWARD ROTHERY killed in action, 5.5.1915.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOE ROTHERY
- regiment: East Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Thursday, October 24, 1918
- age: 36 years
- record ID: 572512
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #572512)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3832469)