This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific company or business. More detailed information may eventually be added. If you have any information relating to this company, please leave a comment or send an email
Joe Riley was a Huddersfield-based cigar importer and tobacconist with a store on Market Street, established in 1864 by cigar merchant and grocer Joe Riley (1842-1903) who was the first president of the Huddersfield Tobacconists' Association. The business was continued by his sons, George Percy Riley (1869-1926) and John Ernest Riley (1871-?).
An invoice from 1925 also noted the business had stores at 10 New Street and 15 Westgate.
Prior to his death in 1926 aged 57, George Percy Riley had amalgamated the business with Tetley & Sons Ltd. of Leeds.
Notes and References
- ↑ Date given on an invoice issued by Riley.
- ↑ Married Sarah Lord on 20 August 1868 at Highfield Independent Chapel. Died 16 March 1903 from pneumonia.
- ↑ Born 2 June 1869 and baptised 29 August 1869 at Highfield Independent Chapel. Died 25 December 1926.
- ↑ Born 28 February 1871 and baptised 2 April 1871 at Highfield Independent Chapel.
- ↑ "Huddersfield: Mr. G.P. Riley Dead" in Leeds Mercury (28/Dec/1926).