Joe Hinchliff (1889-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HINCHLIFF, JOE. Private. No DM2/171355. Army Service Corps. Born Cowcliffe, Huddersfield, 23.6.1889. Son of Albert and Louisa Hinchliff, 75 Netheroyd Hill Road, Huddersfield. Educated at Cowcliffe and Hillhouse schools. Employed as a textile worker. Enlisted 6.5.1916. Died at Port Amelia, East Africa, of malaria, 7.12.1918, aged 29. Buried PEMBA CEMETERY, MOZAMBIQUE. Grave location:- C, 1.
- ROH:- Fartown and Birkby War Memorial; St. Hilda's Church, Cowcliffe, Huddersfield.
- Brother of Private IRVIN HINCHLIFF died in Salonica, 17.1.1919
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOE HINCHLIFF
- regiment: Army Service Corps
- died: Saturday, December 7, 1918
- age: 29 years
- record ID: 904919