Joe Harry Hoyle (c.1883-1914)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HOYLE, JOE HARRY. Private. No 8262. 2nd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment. Born Siddal, Halifax. Son of Mr and Mrs John Hoyle, 3 Chapel Lane, Milnsbridge. Prior to enlisting in the army, in 1905, was employed by Messrs B. and J. Whitwam and Sons Limited, Stanley Mills, Golcar. Had served nine years in the army and, under ordinary circumstances, would have been discharged in November, 1914. Had been stationed in York and Richmond and was in South Africa for two or three years after the war. Had occupied the position of waiter in the Officer's Mess. Killed in action, 30.10.1914, aged 31 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated MENIN GATE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Milnsbridge War Memorial.
- Brother of Private ARCHIBALD CYRIL HOYLE died in India, 19.4.1917.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JOE HARRY HOYLE
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Friday, October 30, 1914
- record ID: 1615186