James William Plaiter (1894-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- PLAITER, JAMES WILLIAM (WILLIE). Private. No 3/11052. 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Shepley. Son of George and Isabella Plaiter of Dobroyd, Shepley. Was a tailor by trade but, prior to enlistment, was employed at Messrs Stringer's colliery, Park Mill, Clayton West. Was formerly a member of the Shepley United Brass Band. Enlisted 8.8.1914. Died from gas poisoning at Hill 60 on 5.5.1915, aged 20 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated MENIN GATE MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Shepley War Memorial.
- Brother of Private THOMAS PLAITER killed in action, 31.7.1917.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JAMES WILLIAM PLAITER
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Wednesday, May 5, 1915
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 1624412
- If Somebody Remembers Me! Men from the Village of Shepley who Served in the Great War (2014) by Geoff Peel