James Stead (c.1889-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- STEAD, JAMES. Rifleman. No S/26067. 8th Battalion The Rifle Brigade. Born Meltham Mills. Son of Mr Richard Stead of Meltham Mills. Married. Lived 3 Lane End, Holmfirth. Employed by Messrs Mallinsons, woollen manufacturers, of Linthwaite. Was a member of the Meltham Brass Band and, later, the Hinchliffe Mill Brass Band. Attended Meltham Mills Church. Died of severe wounds to the head on 23.3.1918, aged 28 years. Buried NOYON NEW BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row C, Grave 4.
- His wife received a letter from a Chaplain at the Dressing Station, who wrote, 'He was quite unconscious and although he was immediately attended to by very skilful surgeons and nurses he never rallied at all and passed away quite peacefully shortly afterwards.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Rifleman STEAD
- regiment: Rifle Brigade
- died: Saturday, March 23, 1918
- age: 28 years
- record ID: 580312
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #580312)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4239069)