James Pigott Pritchett was an architect of London and York, best known locally for designing the Huddersfield Railway Station and the Parish Church of St. Peter's.
Of the latter, Pritchett proposed to reuse much of the stone from the previous building. Unfortunately, many of the stones were then laid incorrectly and this has led to portions of the outer surface weathering badly and crumbling.
According to local historian Edward J. Law, Pritchett "seems to have committed some professional blunder which caused him to be excluded from consideration in the design for any building for the Ramsden estate at a time when they were reshaping Huddersfield" and that the Hon. Isabella Ramsden wrote in 1844, "we must steer clear of him, in his profession as an architect he has given the Ramsden family a lesson not to be forgotten of the instability of his buildings."
- Ramsden Street Nonconformist Chapel (1824)
- St. Peter's Parish Church, Huddersfield (1834)
- St. James, Meltham Mills (1838)
- Huddersfield College, Highfields (1838-39)
- Huddersfield Vicarage (1842)
- Huddersfield Railway Station (1846) — built by Joseph Kaye
- Lion Arcade, Huddersfield (1852)
- Odd Fellows' Hall, Netherton (1854-55)
- Christ Church, Helme (1858)
- alterations to St. Luke's Church, Milnsbridge (1861)
- Congregational Chapel, Hillhouse (1863)
- Congregational Church, Clayton West (1864)
- Congregational Church, Ravensthorpe (1867)
- Congregational Church, Holywell Green (1871)
Notes and References
- ↑ http://huddersfieldparishchurch.org/our-building/history/
- ↑ Huddersfield Central Library, Archives Department, DD/RE/c/3 20.8.1844.