According to his obituary in the Yorkshire Post (06/Aug/1913):
[He was the] principal of James Kenworthy & Sons, railway waggon builders, Lockwood, Huddersfield. Mr. Kenworthy, who would have been 86 next Saturday, was a native of Uppermill. He acquired his business in 1884, having previously been in the service of William Whiteley and Sons, of Prospect Ironworks, Lockwood, for 25 years. From 1872 to 1875 he represented Lockwood in the Huddersfield Town Council. He was also a member of the Huddersfield Board of Guardians for a long period. He was a founder of the Lockwood Mechanics' Institute, and one of the oldest Freemasons in the district. In religion he was a Baptist, and in politics a Liberal.
His daughter, Mary Louisa Kenworthy (1865-?), married Abraham Lee Tyas on 7 April 1887 at the Lockwood Baptist Chapel.
He died on 5 August 1913 and was buried at Emmanuel Church, Lockwood, on 7 August.