James Albert Schofield (1887-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SCHOFIELD, JAMES ALBERT. Private. No 307837. 1/7th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Huddersfield 26.2.1887. Son of Walter and Mary Ann Schofield, Laurel Lea, 344 Leeds Road, Huddersfield. Educated St. Andrew's Church of England School, Higher Grade College, Huddersfield Technical College and Leeds Teacher Training College. Husband of Helena Schofield, 14 Second Avenue, Long Lane, Dalton. Employed as an elementary school teacher at Kirkheaton National School. Attended St. Andrew's Church. Enlisted 4.8.1916. Killed in action at St. Jans Capelle, near Bailleul, on 19.4.1918, aged 31 years. Buried METEREN MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 4, Row N, Grave 970.
- ROH:- St. Andrew's Church, Leeds Road, Huddersfield; St. John's Church, Kirkheaton; Huddersfield Drill Hall.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private JAMES ALBERT SCHOFIELD
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Friday, April 19, 1918
- age: 31 years
- record ID: 257944
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #257944)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3925328)