Ivy Hotel, Linthwaite
The Ivy Hotel — originally known as the Ivy House Inn and The Ivy — is a former inn on Manchester Road (formerly Wakefield and Austerlands Turnpike) in Linthwaite, situated at an area known locally as "Smith Ryding".
The earliest newspaper references found appear in the mid-1860s and name John Beevers (c.1804-1868) as having been the landlord since the early 1830s.
In July 1853, weaver William Garside was charged with assaulting slubber William Thorpe at the Ivy House. The Leeds Mercury reported that Garside was known as a "great fighter" and "had often been before the Bench at Huddersfield". He was fined £5, out of which 10s. was awarded to Thorpe "as some compensation for the injuries he has sustained."
Charles Beevers (c.1846-1899), the son of John Beevers, is named as named as being the landlord in 1869. He was fined 1s. and costs in September 1871 for allowing his dog to run freely on 27 August.
By 1873, Charles Brook, and his wife Margaret, were running the Ivy Hotel. Mrs. Brook took over the licence in 1883 following her husband's death.
Tenders were requested in August 1876 for the construction of "a shed and out-offices". The latter is likely the lower single-storey building attached to the right-hand side of the inn.
In March 1877, weaver J. Garside was charged with assaulting weaver Thomas Dyson, apparently over a bet made on a pigeon race. Witnesses were produced who claimed no assault had taken place, so the case was dismissed.
In December 1887, one of the Brook's sons was one of several people prosecuted by the RSPCA for cruelty to a horse. He failed to turn up to the hearing and the magistrates were told that he'd absconded and gone to America.
On the afternoon of 21 August 1891, Mrs. Brook left 15-year-old Catherine Dennis in charge of the inn whilst she went to Huddersfield with her grandsons. During her absence, local farm labourer James Stockwell murdered the servant girl. After going on the run, he was eventually arrested and found guilty of the crime.
Mrs. Brook felt unable to continue to live at the Ivy Hotel and a successful temporary application to transfer the licence to Linthwaite local councillor and rate collector William Hayes (c.1862-1911) was made on 15 September 1891. Hayes also took charge of the public subscription to erect a gravestone to commemorate the murdered girl.
Road surveyor Edwin Smithies was fined 10s. with 10s. 6d costs in April 1893 for "being disorderly and refusing to quit the licensed premises of the Ivy Hotel." In September that year, landlord William Hayes was charged with selling adulterated whisky. Hayes was of the opinion that the equipment used to do the testing must have been defective.
At a Local Council District meeting in June 1896, landlord and councillor William Hayes, was accused by the sanitary inspector of having a pig sty within 40 feet of the Ivy Hotel. Other councillors moved that Hayes be served with a "notice to abate the nuisance."
Licencee George Kaye was fined 20s. and 12s. 6d. costs on 8 August 1905 for "permitting drunkenness to take place" on 30 July 1905.
A partial history of the licensees includes the following:
- 1830s–1868 — John Beevers (c.1804-1868)
- 1868–1873? — Charles Beevers (c.1846-1899), son of John Beevers
- 26/Aug/1879 — Charles Brook (c.1829-1883)
- 05/Jun/1883 — Margaret Brook (c.1832-1912), widow of Charles Brook
- 22/Sep/1891 — William Hayes (c.1862-1911)
- 24/Aug/1897 — William Hayes (c.1862-1911)
- 06/Nov/1900 — George Henry Denton (1853-?)
- 28/Mar/1905 — Edwin Denton (1880-1955) and George Kaye
- 05/Dec/1908 — Martha Wilkinson (1845-1922)
- 03/Dec/1918 — James Edgar Bamforth (c.1867-1935)
- 11/Feb/1936 — Louisa Bamforth (1878-1939), widow of James Edgar Bamforth
- 05/Mar/1940 — John William Graham
- 01/Jul/1958 — Mary Ann Graham
- 01/Sep/1959 — John Edgar Broadley (1901-1983)
- 07/Sep/1971 — Dorothy Horsfield (c.1914-1989)
The owning brewery was Bentley & Shaw Ltd. of Lockwood, until the 1960s when the Ivy became a Bass pub.
The building is now a private residence.
Notes and References
- See "Brewster Sessions" in Huddersfield Chronicle (26/Aug/1865).
- "Huddersfield: Brutal Assault" in Leeds Mercury (16/Jul/1853).
- Charles married Sarah Bray in 1868. He was working as a stone mason at the time of the 1881 Census.
- "Linthwaite: Modern Druids" in Huddersfield Chronicle (03/Apr/1869).
- "Linthwaite: Another Dog at Large" in Huddersfield Chronicle (09/Sep/1871).
- Born Margaret Lees. Charles was her second husband and they married on 24 September 1862 at Emmanuel Church, Lockwood. She died on 24 November 1912 in Lockwood.
- "Contracts" in Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Aug/1876).
- "Linthwaite: Conclusion of a 'Flying Match'" in Huddersfield Chronicle (17/Mar/1877).
- "Linthwaite: Shocking Cruelty to a Hose" in Huddersfield Chronicle (17/Mar/1877).
- Born in Derbyshire, son of Joseph Hayes. Worked as a porter at Penistone Union Workhouse (1881 Census), rate collector (1891 Census) and school attendance officer (1901 Census). He married Ada Cartwright, daughter of Walter Cartwright, on 12 March 1885 at St. John the Baptist, Penistone.
- "The Linthwaite Tragedy" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (16/Sep/1891). The transfer was formally granted a week later.
- "The Linthwaite Murder" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (14/Oct/1892).
- "A Road Surveyor in Trouble" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (12/Apr/1893).
- "Linthwaite: Adulterated Whisky" in Huddersfield Chronicle (16/Sep/1893).
- Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (29/Nov/1895).
- "Local District Councils" in Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (09/Jun/1896).
- As recorded in the Alehouse Licences.
- The date shown is that when the licence was granted, renewed or transferred
- Born 20 April 1853 in Lockwood. Married Clara Richardson. Immigrated to America circa 1905. Died some time after 1920.
- Son of George Henry Denton. Married Caroline Shaw on 3 May 1905 in Linthwaite. Also moved to America with his wife, parents and siblings, circa 1905.
- Born Mary Bamforth in Slaithwaite. Died 25 March 1922 and buried at Pole Moor.
- Married Louisa Lightowlers in 1908. Previously the landlord of the George Tavern, Scammonden, from 1913. Died 16 December 1935 and was buried 19 December at Christ Church, Linthwaite.
- Born Louisa Lightowlers on 12 April 1878 in Slaithwaite. Married James Edgar Bamforth in 1908. Died 27 December 1939, aged 61, and buried 30 December at Christ Church, Linthwaite.
- Born on 18 November 1901, the son of cotton spinner Joe Edwin Broadley and his wife Emma (née Bamforth). Married Gertrude Annie Knight on 11 November 1922. Died in 1983, aged 83.