Isle of Skye
The Isle of Skye is the local name given to an area at the head of the Wessenden Valley, around the junction of Greenfield Road (A635) and Wessenden Head Road. The area was a popular walking destination in Victorian times.
According to some sources, the area was named as it resembled the bleak landscape of the Hebridean Isle of Skye.
Isle of Skye Inn
The name Isle of Skye was linked to two licenced premises situated near the junction with Wessenden Head Road:
Isle of Skye Borehole
A borehole 600 yards to the west of the hotel was sunk to a depth of nearly 700 feet between 1929 and 1933, which was then connected to Wessenden Head Reservoir via a ¼ mile long adit. By the late 1930s, the borehold was naturally yielding 90,000 gallons of water a day but this could be increased to 275,000 gallons by the use of a pump house which was installed in 1934.
Notes and References
- History of the Huddersfield Water Supplies (1939) by T.W. Woodhead, pages 91-92.