Isaac Beardsley (c.1892-1915)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BEARDSLEY, ISAAC. Private. No 14528. 10th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Swinton, near Mexborough, Yorkshire. Had lived in Golcar for four years and lodged with Mr Eli Whitwam, 7 Leymoor Road, Golcar. Employed as a weaver by Messrs George Mallinson and Sons, Linthwaite. Attended Golcar Baptist Reading Room and Golcar Parish Church. Enlisted 9.11.1914. Killed in action, 26.10.1915, aged 23 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- His sister received the following letter from Lieutenant G R C Heale, 10th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment:- 'You will have been informed by the War Office of the sad loss you have sustained in the death of your brother. He died in action and was killed during an exceptionally heavy shellfire raid, two hundred high explosive shells having being sent within fifty yards from where he and others were working. The Royal Engineers Officer who was there spoke in the highest terms of the conduct of the men during that terrible ordeal and your brother was killed when on his way to stand to arms to repel an expected attack. I have always considered him the best man in the platoon and it was always a matter of regret that he would not accept promotion. He was an exemplary soldier and by his good conduct and constant cheerfulness he earned the goodwill and respect of all the Officers, N.C.O's and men of the Company. His loss is a great blow to me, his death must have been absolutely instantaneous and it must be a comfort to you to know that he suffered no pain. Please accept my sincere sympathy and consolation in your terrible loss. I am yours very truly.'
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ISAAC BEARDSLEY
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Tuesday, October 26, 1915
- record ID: 874379
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #874379)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #261011)