Irwin Archibald Stocks (1898-1918)
He married Eunice Fleetwood on 21 October 1916. The couple had one known son:
- Douglas Irwin Stocks (1917-1930)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- STOCKS, J.A. Private. No 77864. 1/9th Battalion Durham Light Infantry. Born Yews Hill, Lockwood 23.8.1898. Youngest son of Mr and Mrs Hamer Stocks, 52 Springdale Street, Longroyd Bridge, Huddersfield. Educated Mount Pleasant Council School. Employed as an apprentice mason by his father. Married, with one child. Enlisted March 1917. Killed in action near Rheims on 23.7.1918. Buried MARFAUX BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 10, Row J, Grave 3.
- ROH:- St. Stephen's Church, Rashcliffe.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #309563)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4279233)
Notes and References
- His birth index entry gives his name as "Irwen", however the baptismal register gives the spelling "Iwrin". His Army service record uses the spelling "Irving Archibold".
- Born 15 February 1917 at Lockwood. Died 1930 at Wortley, aged 13.
- He may also be the "Stocks" listed on the Armitage Bridge War Memorial, as he father lived for a while in the Berry Brow area.