The inn was the meeting place of several local Friendly Societies, including the Oddfellows (Good Samaritan No. 698, Children of Israel No. 2416, and Star of Providence No. 738), the Druids (Star of Providence No. 61), and the Foresters (Paddan Aram No. 125). The income this generated led to the landlord (named as "Mr. Walker") adding a further storey to the property in 1865 which provided a dedicated lodge room reported "calculated to hold nearly 1,000 persons" and was opened on December 23 1865.