Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Further along New Street, on the east side, the large building opposite Imperial Arcade was once the Imperial Hotel which opened in 1845. Long gone is the elegant portico along the front of the building and the pendentive over the central door but, above ground floor level, apart from the artificial stone cladding, the façade has changed little since 1845. In 1886, John James Vickers, who had previously kept Vickers' Hotel and Dining Rooms in Market Walk, became the proprietor and from that time the hotel was known as Vickers' Imperial Hotel. Vickers catered mainly for "commercial gentlemen" to whom he offered every comfort and convenience in the hotel's twenty bedrooms, the dining room and the commercial, stock, grill, billiards and smoke rooms. The Vickers family also had a grocer's shop in Market Walk and a confectioner's shop at 50, New Street both of which, no doubt, supplied the hotel. The Imperial Hotel closed on 11th March 1909 and afterwards the premises, called Imperial Chambers, housed about a dozen small businesses and offices. The yard behind the hotel, of which only a fraction now remains, originally ran down to Victoria Lane and as late as the 1980s, some seventy years after the hotel closed, the arched entrance to the yard there bore the inscription, "Footway to the Imperial Hotel".