Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
On the right hand side of Market Street notice the Imperial Arcade, a partly covered shopping precinct which runs through to New Street. Originally, there were two adjoining yards here, the Queen's Yard at the Market Street end and Hanson's Yard at the New Street end. In 1873 a Mr. J.R.Hopkinson refurbished Hanson's Yard and covered it with a glass roof. Soon afterwards the wall dividing the two yards was demolished and the resulting new enlarged yard was re-named Imperial Arcade, taking its name from the Imperial Hotel which stood directly opposite the New Street entrance.