Illustrated London News (24/Oct/1891) - The Carlile Institute, Meltham, Yorkshire

The following is a transcription of a historic newspaper article and may contain occasional errors. If the article was published prior to 1 June 1957, then the text is likely in the Public Domain.


Illustrated London News 24 Oct 1891 - Carlile Institute.png

The busy and thriving village of Meltham Mills, near Huddersfield. was on Friday, Oct. 10, the scene of an interesting ceremony on the occasion of the opening of the Carlile Institute. Meltham owes much of its prosperity to the firm of Messrs. Jonas Brook Brothers, which gives employment to upward of two thousand workpeople. The churches, schools, convalescent home, and public recreation grounds hear testimony to the interest which the Brook family have taken in the welfare of their people. On the retirement of Mr. James William Carlile, one of the leading members of the firm, he recently presented to the community this institute which bears his name. It has just been completed, and he was to have presided at the opening, but a sudden and severe attack of illness at the last moment prevented his leaving his house. He was represented at the inaugural luncheon by his son, Mr. W. Walter Carlile, of Grayhurst, who was supported by the Bishop of Wakefield, Lord Addington, and many of the local gentry and personal friends of the family.

The building is in the Classic style, with Doric porticos, richly moulded windows, and ornamental gables of Elizabethan character. It contains a spacious entrance-hall paved with marble mosaic, a library and reading-room, a news-room on the ground-floor. Above this is a large class-room, which can also be used as an ante-room to the lecture-room — a well-proportioned and very handsome apartment, with a lofty panelled arched ceiling supported by carved corbels, the walls finished with beautifully figured pitch-pine dado panelling. In the rear are two spacious class-rooms for technical education, and a smoking-room. The friezes of the staircase and various rooms are decorated with mottoes, selected with judgment and good taste, and not without a quiet humour. The buildings, including the decorations and fittings, were designed by Mr. J.S. Alder, of Palmerston Buildings, London, and have been constructed, under his superintendence, by Messrs. Moorhouse and Mr. Henry Holland.