Illustrated London News (06/Jun/1874) - New Bridge at Huddersfield
NEW BRIDGE AT HUDDERSFIELD
This flourishing town of the West Riding of Yorkshire, with, its great woollen manufacture, has grown rich enough for ornamental as well as useful public works. Its buildings are constructed to good advantage of the fine light brown stone which abounds in the district; the streets are well planned, and there is an air of handsome prosperity about the place. The new bridge at Aspley, over the river Colne, which was opened on Monday week, is called Somerset Bridge, in honour of Lady Guendolen Ramsden, wife of Sir John Ramsden, Bart., late an Under-Secretary of State, and chief landowner at Huddersfield. This lady is a daughter of the Duke of Somerset. The bridge was formally declared, to be opened by Lady Guendolen, accompanied by her husband, at the request of the Mayor, Mr. H. Brooke. A christening ceremony was performed by her breaking a bottle of champagne against the bridge wall. There was afterwards a banquet given by the Mayor at the George Hotel. The cost of the new bridge is £12,000, partly borne by a graut from the County Sessions and partly by subscription, but the greater part by the Town Corporation. It was commenced in September, 1872, when Alderman Mellor was Mayor. The designer was Mr. J. H. Abbey, borough surveyor ; Messrs. Abraham Graham and Sons were the contractors, who executed the work. The bridge has a span of 70 ft. Its width is 50 ft., and it is 25 ft. above the river. Our illustration is supplied by Mr. Reginald Spurr, photographer.