Illustrated London News (04/Oct/1884) - The Second Public Park

The following is a transcription of a historic newspaper article and may contain occasional errors. If the article was published prior to 1 June 1957, then the text is likely in the Public Domain.

The second public park established in the year in the borough of Huddersfield was declared open by Mr. Alderman Wright Mellor, Mayor, last Saturday, amid many signs of public approval. The park consists of thirty acres of land, and was bought by the Corporation several years ago from the trustees of Sir John Ramsden, the lord of the manor, at £1000 per acre, Sir John also giving a contribution of £5000 and paying half the cost of making the roads round it.