Illingworth Dennis (1886-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- DENNIS, ILLINGWORTH. Private. No 29469. 1/4th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Huddersfield 31.3.1886. Son of Lucy Dennis, 12 Spring Grove Street, Huddersfield. Educated at Thomas Street Board School. Employed as a permanent wayman on the London and North Western Railway. Attended Queen Street Mission Church. Husband of Margaret Oakes Dennis, 45 Well Green, Lockwood. Enlisted September 1916. Died of gunshot wounds and gas gangrene at No 24 General Hospital, 13.10.1917, aged 32 years. Buried ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 30, Row C, Grave 14.
- ROH:- Emmanuel Church, Lockwood.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ILLINGWORTH DENNIS
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Saturday, October 13, 1917
- record ID: 500564
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #500564)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #2377415)