Huddersfield and Penistone Turnpike Road
The Huddersfield and Penistone Turnpike was a 10-mile toll road passing through Highburton, Shelley Bank Bottom, Shepley and Ingbirchworth.
The route was surveyed by Joseph Jagger of Highroyd, Honley, circa 1777.
The initial part of the route from Huddersfield to Waterloo ran along the Wakefield and Austerlands Turnpike. At Waterloo, the road branched off south-eastwards and passed through:
- Fenay Bridge
- Dogley Lane Toll Point (below Highburton)
- Burton Dead Toll Point (below Highburton)
- Shelley Hill Top
- Shelley Far Bank Toll Point, Shelley
- Shelley Bank Bottom
- Bar House, Shepley
- Sovereign Inn, Shepley — at a junction with the Greenfield and Shepley Lane Head Turnpike and Barnsley and Shepley Lane Head Turnpike roads
- Park Head, Silkstone
- High Flats Toll Point
- Ingbirchworth Lane Toll Point, Ingbirchworth
- Penistone Bridge — at a crossroads with the Doncaster and Salter's Brook Turnpike road
The modern-day route is now the A629 from Waterloo, turning off near Scout Dike Reservoir to approach Penistone along the B6462.
A separate branch is shown on the 1854 O.S. map and is named as the Shelley Branch of the Huddersfield & Penistone Turnpike. This ran from Shelley Town End to Kirkburton and is assumed to have continued through Kirkburton to join the turnpike south of Burton Dean Toll Point. No toll points are marked on the map for this branch and it is now the B6116.
Although the modern-day B6116 also runs east from Shelley Town End to Skelmanthorpe, it is not marked as being part of the branch on the 1854 map.
The route of the turnpike road is shown below, along with milestones and toll points: