The Huddersfield & New Hey Turnpike was a 16-mile toll road passing through Marsh, Salendine Nook, Outlane, Pool Moor, Buckstones Moss, Denshaw and Haugh, to reach New Hey in Lancashire at the junction with the Shaw & Rochdale Turnpike.
The construction was authorised by an Act of Parliament passed in 1806.
The route passes through the following toll points marked on the 1854 O.S. maps:
The route is now the A640, although the current road makes a small number of diversions from the turnpike road.
A branch of the turnpike (now the A643) was also built to Rastrick at the same time as the main turnpike.
Two further branches of the Huddersfield and New Hey Turnpike are marked on the 1850s O.S. maps and are believed to have been built following an Act in 1838.
The route of the turnpike road, including the branches, is shown below: