Huddersfield and Holmfirth Examiner (17/Apr/1852) - Local News: Holmfirth
A Noble Example.. — The Halifax district of the United Ancient Order of Druids have this week presented to their suffering brethren at Holmfirth the handsome donation of £22 5s. The example is truly praiseworthy, and we trust other similar acts of generosity will be followed by other districts.
Christian Brethren’s School Room.. — This building, which was partially destroyed by the recent flood, has been again restored, and was publicly opened on Sunday last Two sermons were preached on the occasion by Mr. R. Carling, of Bolton ; the attendance was small on both occasions. Collections were made towards defraying the expenses incurred by its restoration.
Death of Joseph Charlesworth, Esq.. — We announce with deep regret the demise of our esteemed townsman and senior magistrate, Joseph Charlesworth, Esq., which occurred rather unexpectedly, at his residence, Eldon House, about ten o’clock on the morning of Saturday last, surrounded by his family and several friends. It will probably be in the recollection of some of our readers, from an account previously given in the Examiner, that on the morning of the recent awful calamity at Holmfirth, his residence, especially the lower portion, was completely inundated, the building being surrounded by the foaming waters. He, in company with the rest of the family, was at the time in an upper room, expecting every moment to perish in the raging element. This circumstance, to which may be added his indefatigable exertions in the discharge of his magisterial duties during the calamity — being up early and late for several days together, the weather being excessively wet at the time — preyed severely upon his constitution, gave his nervous system a shock, and ended in inflammation of the brain. For several days he was expected to recover, but on Saturday morning alarming symptoms manifested themselves, the members of his family were summoned around him, and he expired shortly afterwards, in the 59th year of his age. He qualified for the bench in 1837, which situation he filled up to the time of his decease, with credit to himself, and to the satisfaction of the public. Being connected with most of the Sunday-schools belonging to the church in the neighbourhood, his remains were followed to the grave by about 100 of the wardens and teachers, in addition to a large circle of relations and friends. Though widely differing from the departed gentleman on many political questions, we very willingly bear our testimony that in him the conservatives have lost a staunch supporter and ready advocate; the inhabitants an intelligent and efficient magistrate; and the Church Sabbath Schools, a zealous and able supporter. As a token of respect, the shopkeepers and other tradespeople closed their shops and warehouses during the funeral.