Huddersfield Technical School and Mechanics' Institute

The Huddersfield Technical School & Mechanics' Institute was formed in 1883 by the merger of the Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute (previously the Huddersfield Young Men's Mental Improvement Society) and the Huddersfield Female Educational Institute.

A new dedicated building was constructed on Queen Street South and was opened along with a Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition to raise funds.

The institution was renamed Huddersfield Technical College in 1896 and then Huddersfield College of Technology in 1958, before becoming Huddersfield Polytechnic in 1970. It is now the University of Huddersfield.