Huddersfield Technical College

Following a decision taken during a meeting held on 30 September 1896, the Huddersfield Technical School and Mechanics' Institute was renamed "Huddersfield Technical College". According to the report of the meeting in the Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (01/Oct/1896):

[The Chairman] remarked that the governors were, on the whole, unanimous that this change would be for the advantage of the school, and though many of them would regret to lose the name of the Mechanics' Institution it was thought the present change would add dignity to the institution.

The college was renamed the Huddersfield College of Technology in 1958, before becoming Huddersfield Polytechnic in 1970. It is now the University of Huddersfield.

Huddersfield Technical College

This page was last modified on 5 May 2019 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed