Huddersfield Pig Protection Society
A Pig Protection Society, sometimes named as the "Working Men's Pig Protection Society", was established in Huddersfield in late 1866 "for the protection of those who keep pigs". Seen as unhygienic animals, those who kept pigs in places other than farms found themselves being increasingly targeted by nuisance inspectors under local the various Improvement Acts.
The first meeting was chaired by the society's president, Mr. Charles Hallas, on 3 December 1866 at the Richmond Inn on Manchester Road and Charles' son, Joseph, acted as the secretary. According to the Chronicle, "already a goodly number of members have been enrolled."
Meetings continued to be held at the Richmond Inn in 1867 and were reported by the Chronicle on 8 June and 10 August.
On 6 January 1868, the society held its "first annual tea party and soirée" at the Richmond Inn with around 50 members in attendance. The landlord of the Inn, Mr. George Holmes, presented Joseph Hallas with a "gold Albert chain and locket" which bore the inscription, "Presented to Mr. Joseph Hallas by the Pig Protection Society, for his kind services as secretary. January 6th, 1868." The evening ended with singing and dancing, which was aided by the presence of "Messrs. Conacher and Co.'s splendid brass band."
By the following year, the society was sponsoring prizes at local horticultural events, although often Charles or Joseph Hallas were the recipients.
It seems probable the society became the Paddock Horticultural, Floricultural, Pig, Poultry and Dog Association in 1870.
Notes and References
- A similar society was set up in Holbeck, Leeds, in the same year. By August 1866, it reportedly had 1,300 members.
- Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Dec/1866).
- "Huddersfield Working Men's Pig Protection Society" in Huddersfield Chronicle (11/Jan/1868).