This page is currently under construction and isn't complete yet!
The Huddersfield Naturalists' Society — sometimes referred to as the Huddersfield Naturalist Society — was founded at the house of printer and bookseller Richard Brook on Buxton Road circa 1848 under the patronage of the Earl of Dartmouth.
Women were admitted to the society from 1882, with a Miss Sykes becoming a vice-president in 1904.
When Beaumont Park was laid out in the 1880s, the society requested that a lake be constructed below the park's waterfall to allow for the growth of aquatic plants.
The society became the Huddersfield Naturalist and Photographic Society in 1892, and then the Huddersfield Naturalist, Photographic and Antiquarian Society in 1917.
Notes and References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Nostalgia: Huddersfield Society’s 100 Years of Natural History" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (12/Sep/2012).
- ↑ 1848 is the year given in "The History of the Borough of Huddersfield" in Yorkshire, Past and Present: A History and a Description of the Three Ridings of the Great County of York - volume 2, part 2 (1875) by Thomas Baines. 1847 is given in "The Amateur and Professional Scientist: A Comment on Louis C. Miall (1842-1921)" in The Naturalist (1985).
- ↑ "Field, Lab and Museum: The Practice and Place of Life Science in Yorkshire, 1870-1904]", thesis by Samuel John Matthew Mayer Alberti (2000).