The Huddersfield Naturalists' Society — sometimes referred to as the Huddersfield Naturalist Society — was founded at the house of printer and bookseller Richard Brook on Buxton Road circa 1848 under the patronage of the Earl of Dartmouth.
Members of the society were instrumental in the foundation of the West Riding Consolidated Naturalists' Society in 1861, which comprised a union of "six societies within an area of twenty miles [with] upwards of 200 members". This was renamed the Yorkshire Naturalist Union at the end of 1876.
Women were admitted to the society from 1882, with a Miss Sykes becoming a vice-president in 1904.
The society became the Huddersfield Naturalist and Photographic Society in 1892, and then the Huddersfield Naturalist, Photographic and Antiquarian Society in 1917.