Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute
The name Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute was used by two separate organisations from 1825 to 1836 and from 1843 and 1883.
Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute (1843-1883)
The Huddersfield Young Men's Mental Improvement Society was established in May 1841 by employees of John Frederic Schwann. The society changed its name to the Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute following a meeting held on 1 August 1843 chaired by J. Kell, reflecting a desire by its members to place a greater emphasis on the teaching of technical and scientific subjects.
By February 1844, the institute had 410 members.
In 1847, the occupations of the attendees was recorded as follows:
|errand and factory hands||52|
In 1883, the Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute was merged with the Huddersfield Female Educational Institute (est. 1846) and became the Huddersfield Technical School and Mechanics' Institute.
Notes and References
- "Huddersfield" in Leeds Times (17/Feb/1844).
- Leeds Mercury (12/Aug/1843).
- Reproduced from Martyn Walker's thesis "'A solid and practical education within reach of the humblest means': the growth and development of the Yorkshire Union of Mechanics’ Institutes 1838–1891" which is available to download.