The name Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute was used by two separate organisations from 1825 to 1836 and from 1843 and 1883.
The Huddersfield Scientific & Mechanics' Institute — usually shortened to the Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute in newspaper reports — was established in early 1825, with one of the principal promoters being Benjamin Haigh Allen of Greenhead.
The institute's first rule book noted that:
The great object of this Institution is to bring within the research of all, but more particularly the trading and working classes, the acquisition of useful knowledge.
However, in December 1825, the Leeds Intelligencer reported that the new institute was "likely to sustain a great [financial] loss" of around £400 due to the failure of Dobson's Bank.
By July 1829, the institute had recovered and the fourth annual report by the Directors recorded that they now had a balance of £105 in hand.
Lectures reported in the local press include:
|April 1834||Dr. Dionysius Lardner||"Modern discoveries in astronomy"|
|September 1834||Mr. H. Martin (editor of Halifax Express)||"On the Substances used by different Nations to Record Events and Convey Ideas"|
|October 1834||Mr. Rose of Edinburgh||15 lectures on "Mineralogy and Geology"|
|December 1834||Mr. Levison||6 lectures on "Phrenology", illustrated by casts, skulls, and drawings|
|June 1835||Rev. W. Hincks of York||6 lectures on "Botany"|
|October 1835||Dr. John Murray of Edinburgh||12 lectures on "Chemistry"|
|June 1836||Prof. F. B. Calvert of Aberdeen||8 lectures on the "Art of Reading and Elocution"|
In October 1835, the directors of resolved to:
In December 1835, it was announced that the new hall would be built on Ramsden Street. By March 1836, it was being reported that the new building would be called the "Hall of Science" and would cost about 2,000 guineas.
Following a majority vote of 34 in favour and 17 against, the the Huddersfield Scientific & Mechanic Institute was renamed the Huddersfield Philosophical Society in September 1836. Their new hall on Ramsden Street was opened in 1837 as the Philosophical Hall.
The Huddersfield Young Men's Mental Improvement Society was established in May 1841 by employees of John Frederic Schwann. The society changed its name to the Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute following a meeting held on 1 August 1843 chaired by J. Kell.
By February 1844, the institute had 410 members.
In 1847, the occupations of the attendees was recorded as follows:
|errand and factory hands||52|
In 1883, the Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute was merged with the Huddersfield Female Educational Institute (est. 1846) and became the Huddersfield Technical School and Mechanics' Institute.