Huddersfield Infirmary, Huddersfield

This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • also known as: Huddersfield & Upper Agbrigg Infirmary
  • appears on maps: 1851 [#338], 1890 [#429], 1905 [#32]
  • location on map: access via Portland Street and York Place (no longer exists), Huddersfield
  • status: still exists
  • architect: John Oates (1793-1831)
  • category: hospital

Extract from A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:

The Dispensary, established in 1814, has been consolidated with the Huddersfield and Upper Agbrigg Infirmary, for which a spacious building, in the Grecian-Doric style, was erected in 1831, at an expense of nearly £5000, raised by subscription, and the profits of a sale of fancy articles ; it is adapted to the reception of 40 in-patients, and attached are two acres of land, granted at a nominal rent, for 999 years, by Sir J. Ramsden.

Statue of King Edward VII

The statue of King Edward VII was commissioned from sculptor Percy Bryant Baker (1881-1970)[1] of Chelsea and unveiled by King George V in 1912 during a visit to Huddersfield with Queen Mary.



    Loading... ::::::omeka tag Huddersfield Infirmary:::kia k002488:::kia k004115:::kia k008619:::kia k008647:::kia k008934:::kia k010098:::kia k019833:::kia km01636:::


    Loading... ::::::kia k004108:::kia k004109:::kia k004110:::kia k004111:::kia k004112:::kia k004113:::kia k004114:::kia k004116:::kia k004117:::kia k004119:::kia k004120:::kia k011254:::


Notes and References

  1. Wikipedia: Bryant Baker

Huddersfield Infirmary, Huddersfield


Buildings | Hospitals, infirmaries and convalescent homes | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 17 November 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed