Huddersfield Daily Examiner (25/Feb/1914) - Baptists' Bazaar at Golcar
BAPTISTS' BAZAAR AT GOLCAR.
BIG EFFORT TO REDUCE THE DEBT.
This afternoon the people connected with the Golcar Baptist Chapel and Sunday School inaugurated a three days’ bazaar, having for its object the liquidation of the debt on the church property, which according to a statement in the handbook is £1,110. If that sum is attained by Saturday night the friends win, no doubt, feel very pleased with themselves and receive the hearty congratulations of many well-wishers.
THE CHAPEL'S HISTORY.
Golcar Baptist Chapel has a glorious history. From a sum of £100 bequeathed by Mr. Thomas Sykes, a member of Salendine Nook Chapel, which was allowed to accumulate, and with the kind benevolence of surrounding friends, the first chapel was erected in l835, on a site presented by Mr. Wm. Shaw, sen., of Botham Hall. The chapel, which was capable of seating about 630 persons, was opened free from debt on April 22nd, 1935. Thirty years later all the sittings in the chapel were let, and repeated application made for others, and it was clearly seen that a new chapel would have to be provided. So the ground on which the present chapel stands was bought and paid for, also an additional thousand yards for the burial ground.
Subsequently the present chapel was built, the old chapel converted into a school, and the old chapel house pulled down to make room for the present one. The present chapel, which was formally opened on August 16th, 1869, has seating accommodation tor 1,150 people. Seven years after its opening it was announced at a thanksgiving service that the whole of the debt was paid. In 1885 the jubilee of the church was celebrated, additional land obtained tor burial ground extension, and the chapel decorated. The erection of the present Sunday school was commenced in August, 1896, and opened the following year. Then in 1901-2, the re-ceiling and renovation of the chapel and the instalment of the present organ took place, and by a bazaar in November of the latter year all debts were again cleared off.
A GREAT ACQUISITION.
In 1905 it was found that the premises were in danger of being “built in” by new properties, so a portion of the field lying between the chapel and main road was leased. This plot has been laid out with trees, flower beds, and rockery, and a good carriage drive made, allowing vehicles better access to and from the chapel. To cover the lease four cottages were erected, and the whole scheme left the friends with a liability of £650. Since then the Manse has been greatly improved, and various internal alterations made to the chapel, which bring the debt to £1,110. The work continues to make progress under the ministry of the Rev. George Evans, who commenced his pastorate in July, 1909.
The premises are admirably adapted for such functions as bazaars. The large vestry under the chapel is utilised, as on former occasions, leaving the school-room at liberty for entertainments, afternoon teas, and the cafe. A covered way from one building to the other is not the least noteworthy object.
Officers of the bazaar include Mr. Wm. Crowther (chairman), Rev. Geo. Evans (vice-chairman), Mr. Wm. Lockwood (treasurer), Messrs. Oliver Taylor and Walter Thornton (secretaries). Mr. J. W. Tate is the secretary of the bazaar stewards, and Mr. Jas. Wm. Livesey secretary of the Decoration Committee, the convener of which was Mrs. Willie Thornber. Mr. Wilfred Ramsden was chairman of the Handbook Committee, with Mr. J. Leonard Ramsden as treasurer. Mr. Hervey Tate secretary, and Mr. O. B. Kenworthy assistant secretary. The chairman of the Entertainment Committee was Mr. Alfred Singleton, and the secretary Mr. F. S. Richardson. The managers of the Bazaar Bank (in which over £200 was deposited) were Messrs. Joah Heap and Fred Pearson.
THE OPENING CEREMONY.
There was a very large attendance at the opening ceremony, which was performed by Mr. W. Dale Shaw, of Longwood. Mr. Wm. Crowther occupied the chair, and amongst others on the platform were the Rev. Geo. Evans (pastor), Rev. D. W. Jenkins (Salendine Nook), and the Rev. N. Bosworth (Oakes). The bazaar room and stalk were beautifully decorated.
The Chairman said they had been remarkably fortunate to secure the services of Mr. Shaw to open the bazaar. He did not think there was any man in Yorkshire to whom the Baptist denomination was more indebted for services and support in every way than Mr. Shaw. Some of Mr. Shaw's predecessors were benefactors to that place, and they were glad to welcome one of the third generation to assist them that day. At that place they had been indebted to Mr. Shaw and his predecessors more than they could tell. They had set themselves a very difficult task at the bazaar, and he did not know whether they would achieve their object or not, but they hoped very strongly to at any rate get very near the mark. They had not been great on bazaars at that place, that, he believed, being only the third since the place was founded. He then asked Mr. Shaw to open, the bazaar. (Applause.)
Mr. W. Dale Shaw associated himself with the expressions of sympathy with the family who were mourning a sad bereavement. He was very grateful for being asked to take that position. In the course of a year he had to refuse a great many such invitations, or his time would be taken up altogether too much. But he felt that that particular place had claims upon him which he could not refuse. The past connections of himself and his predecessors with the church had influenced him in deciding to accept the kind invitation. He was also a sort of representative of the parent church of the locality, and the desire of that church was to show its Christian and neighbourly interest in the things they had at heart. He was delighted to notice the success of the Rev. Geo. Evans as their pastor. At the Manchester College they regarded Mr. Evans and some others as being amongst the most distinguished students they had turned out. (Hear, hear.) They hoped Mr. Evans would have a very exalted and important future, and that he would be distinguished above measure in preaching Christ and Him crucified. (Hear, hear.) To some of them it was getting a very important matter that the arrested progress should itself be arrested. Some of the were looking with great impatience and still with great faith to see the first streaks of the dawn of a brighter time. He believed it was coming, and that before they were much older they would rejoice in the showers that bring God’s blessing upon them. They must strive, and pray, and wait, and do their part conscientiously. He hoped they would never be noted for faithlessness in the cause of humanity. He hoped and believed they would be successful, and had pleasure in declaring the bazaar open. (Applause.)
Thanks were accorded the opener, on the motion of the Rev. George Evans, seconded by Mr. John Hirst, and a similar compliment was paid to the chairman, on the motion of Mr. William Lockwood, seconded by Mr. Oliver Taylor.
The following donations were announced:— Mr. W. A. Crowther £5. Mr. George Hall £3 3s., Mr. J. Franklin Hindle £3 3s., Mrs. Charles Sykes £1 1s., Mr. John Holmes £1 1s.. Mr. James Kenworthy £1 1s., Mr. Charles Chadwick £1 1s., Mr. Joe Wilkinson £1, Mr. George Mason goods value £1, Mr. Thomas Wrigley 10s, a friend 5s., Mr. R. H. Crowther £5, Mrs. William Taylor (proceeds of an “At Home”) £10 10s., Mrs. Shaw £10, two friends £1, Mr. W. Dale Shaw £20. (Applause.)
Business then began.