Huddersfield Daily Examiner (11/Jan/1918) - Local Casualties
KILLED IN ACTION.
- Lance-Corporal LEVI WHOWELL, of the Canadian army, whose home was at at 11422 79th Street, Edmonton, Canada, has been killed in action. He was a native of Paddock (where he lived in Church Street), and attended the U.M. Church. Before he went to Canada, about fifteen years ago, he was employed by Mr. Joe Inman, woollen merchant, New Street, and later was with Messrs. Dugdale Bros. and Co.
- Lance-Corporal WILLIAM CHARLES SIMS, Bedfordshire Regiment, reported killed, was the foster son at Mr. John Thomas Ashton, Wildspur Bottom, Newmill, and was 31 years old. He enlisted three years ago, and had been in France two years. Prior to enlisting be worked at Wood Coal Pit, and was a member of the Newmill Working Men's Club.
KILLED WHILST ON SENTRY DUTY.
- Private JACK WRAGG (32) has been killed whilst on sentry duty in France. He enlisted in the South Staffordshires, but was afterwards transferred to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Before joining he was employed at the "Borough Advertiser" Office as letterpress machinemsn. Ha lived with his widow and child at Dewhurst Road, Fartown.
- Corporal C. S. WORTLEY, West Riding Regiment, a native of Shepley, has been invalided home with trench fever, and is now in hospital at Duston, Northampton, where be is progressing favourably. His brother, David, was recently killed in France.
FROM THE CASUALTY LISTS.
The following casualties have been officially notified. Where not otherwise stated they refer to privates whose next-of-kin live in Huddersfield:—
- Coldstream Guards. - F. Townsend (20375).
- Duke of Wellington's Regiment. — J. Curran (22751), L. Foster (306270, Springhead), W. Kenyon (24363), J. S. O'Hara (306345, Slaithwaite), E. Radley (35133).
- King's Royal Rifle Corps. — C. W. Thornton (8131).
- York and Lancaster Regiment. - J. Bowers (23975).
PREVIOUSLY REPORTED MISSING, NOW REPORTED KILLED.
DIED OF WOUNDS.
- South Staffordshire Regiment. — F. Shaw (32008, Linthwaite).
- Machine Gun Corps. — J. Hynes (97735).
- R.F.A. — Sergeant T. Walmsley (49872, Holmfirth).
- Royal Engineers. — Sapper J. Fuller (131603).
- Northumberland Fusilier. — A. Whitwam (36347), J. Poppleton (355).
- King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. — F. Crowther (203041, Slaithwaite), H. Wilson (39645), E. Siswick (202620, Longwood).
- Durham Light Infantry. — B. Brook (43184), J. Bushby (337, Marsden).
- Machine Gun Corps. — N. Buckley (116746).
- Duke of Wellington's Regiment. — Sergeant E. Binnie (240239), Lance-Corporal N. Coldwell (204480, Newmill), W. Crosland (240124), N. Fisher (19579, Holmfirth), J. Jessop (241198, Newmill), G. Peckett (242099), E. Price (240738, Mirfield), E. Shaw (306001, Golcar), G. Smith (240738), Mirfield), N. Willey (205363, Brighouse), M. Hoyle (305946, Slaithwaite), H. Rawcliffe (24714, Golcar), A. Shaw (12984), R. Smith (305801, Brighouse), D. L. Hughes (241182).
- King's Own Scottish Borderers. — A. Gregory (40272).
- York and Lancaster Regiment. — J. Revilla (240878).
- Highland Light Infantry. — E. Watson (350284).
- Tank Corps. — Corporal H. Thompson (91608).
- Labour Corps. — G. W. Wood (295703).
PREVIOUSLY REPORTED WOUNDED, NOW REPORTED WOUNDED & MISSING.
- Duke of Wellington's Regiment. — C. Stevenson (263874, Marsh).
- R.F.A. — Gunner E. Bradley (25455).
- Rifle Brigade. — G. Hirst (28212).