Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (28/Feb/1896) - The Funeral of the Late Mr. Cuthbert

The following is a transcription of a historic newspaper article and may contain occasional errors.

THE FUNERAL OF THE LATE MR. CUTHBERT.

The remains of the late Mr. John Ralph Cuthbert were interred at the pleasantly-situated burrying ground attached to the Lane Congregational Chapel, Homlfirth, on Thursday morning, at 11-15. The deceased gentleman was known by many residents who came into contact with him when on his fishing expeditions to the reservoir, and all agree that he was of admirable disposition, very agreeable in company, and strictly abstemious. Sympathy with the family was heard in many places, despite the sensationalism of modern evening journalism, much of which has come in for condemntation. Messrs. J. Shaw, Son, & Co., the undertakers, supplied bearers for the coffin (pitch-pine, polished, with brass furnishings), and the funeral party met the hearse on the way to the chapel. Mrs. Cuthbert was too ill to attend, and the family was represented by the two sons of the deceased, who evidently keenly feel their sad bereavement. Ten gentlemen from Paddock district, and Mr. R. Haworth, of Holmfirth, showed their respect for the deceased by joining the processions. At the chapel the Rev. J.H. Trethewey (pastor of Paddock Congregational Chapel) began the service for the burial of the dead, and also conducted the service at the graveside. The Rev. E.E.D. Davies, B.A., M.Sc. (pastor of Lane Chapel), was also present at the ceremony. The ceremony over the assembled spectators soon dispersed.

Huddersfield Daily Chronicle (28/Feb/1896) - The Funeral of the Late Mr. Cuthbert

Categories

Articles about John Ralph Cuthbert (1844-1896) | Articles from 1896 | Articles from the 1890s | Funerals | Newspaper articles
This page was last modified on 27 August 2015 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed