Huddersfield Collegiate School, St. John's Road, Huddersfield
- location: off St. John's Road & Oxford Street (now off Clare Hill), Huddersfield
- status: no longer exists
- category: school
- notes: opened 1838, closed after merging with Huddersfield College in 1887, taken over by Alfred Jubb circa 1891 and renamed Albany Hall
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
The Huddersfield Collegiate School was established, on the principles of the Church of England, by a body of proprietors in shares of £21 each, in 1838. The patrons are, the Archbishop of York, the Bishop of Ripon, and the Earls of Harewood and Dartmouth ; and the institution is under the direction of a president and council, the Vicar of Huddersfield being the former, and has a principal, vice-principal, and the usual number of masters. The building is on a commanding eminence, to the left of the road leading to Bay-Hall, and convenient houses have been built by the council for the principal and vice-principal, the whole of the grounds comprising a site of about six acres.
Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Notice on the left hand side of St. John's Road a handsome and ornate single storey building with a shield on the centre gable. In the shield is the monogram A.J. The building was erected in 1891 by Alfred Jubb as a printing works. Four years previously, Mr. Jubb had bought the premises of the Huddersfield Collegiate School which stood on the right hand side of Clare Hill. The school which opened in 1838 was administered by the established church and took both boarders and day boys. In 1887 the school, which had been in difficulties for many years, merged with Huddersfield College and thus the premises became available to Mr Jubb. His business was very successful and many people who handle old books and pamphlets appertaining to Huddersfield will be familiar with the legend "printed by Alfred Jubb & Sons Ltd". His success led to the building of the printing works in front of the school which then became the Albany Hall to commemorate the visit of the Duke of Albany to Huddersfield in 1883. Many of our older readers will remember the Albany Hall which, after a brief spell as a roller skating rink, became a venue for various social gatherings. The hall was demolished in the late 1970s.