Huddersfield College, New North Road, Huddersfield
- also known as: Huddersfield Higher Grade School, Almondbury County Secondary School (1960s)
- location: New North Road, Huddersfield
- status: still exists
- category: college
- notes: designed by James Pigott Pritchett (1789-1868), now part of Kirklees College
Huddersfield College was initially opened in temporary accommodation on Monday 21 January 1839 with 109 pupils, by which time a design by James Pigott Pritchett of York had been chosen for the permanent building. The foundation stone was laid on Thursday 28 March 1839 and the building was nearing competition in June 1940.
Halifax Express (26/May/1838):
It is contemplated, by a number of Gentlemen, of various Religious Denominations, in Huddersfield and the Neighbourhood, to FOUND a PROPRIETARY SCHOOL, bearing the designation of the "Huddersfield College."
The great object of the promoters of this design is, to furnish facilities for securing first-rate Classical, Mathematical, and Commercial Education, on the most economical Terms. They wish also, distinctly to state it as their intention, that the Education given in the School shall he based upon the Christian Religion; to accomplish which object, among other means, it is proposed, that the Sacred Scriptures shall be habitually read by the Pupils.
The College will be under the Superintendence of Masters of eminent Learning, of superior Talent, and of unexceptionable Character; and in all cases the Head Master will be a Graduate of one of the English Universities.
The Proprietary of the College will be divided among 100 or 120 Shareholders, and the price of each Share will not exceed £20. It it proposed that the Yearly Fee shall be about Eight Guineas. A Preparatory School for younger children will be attached to the College. Terms not to exceed £5 per Annum.
No arguments can be requisite to show the indispensable necessity of a sound and liberal Education for the rising generation; and, in proof of the efficiency of such an Institution as the Huddersfield College, it will suffice to refer to the History of similar Establishments existing at Hull, Wakefield, Leicester, Devonport, &c.
Parents being at a distance from the Town, and who would wish to secure for their Sons the advantages of an Education in the "Huddersfield College," may purchase Shares, confidently anticipating that provision will be made for the accommodation of Boarders, with a due regard to their morals and general comfort.
Applications for Shares may be made to the Rev. Geo. Highfield, Queen Street, Huddersfield.
The Promoters of the Huddersfield College feel themselves called upon to state, that they commenced their movements before those of the Projectors of the "Huddersfield Church of England Collegiate School." Indeed, the recent proposal of a Proprietary School in the Town of Huddersfield, originated with the Friends of the "Huddersfield College," and not with the Promoters of the "Huddersfield Church of England Collegiate School." The Parties with whom the movement commenced, were desirous of forming an Institution, in the establishment of which all classes of Christians should unite, and from whose advantages none should be excluded; to secure which they sought the desired union, and to ensure it, were prepared to make every concession, not involving the compromise of principle. Having stated this fact, the Public must be left to draw their own conclusion, and to decide whether their preference shall be given to an Institution founded upon exclusive principles, or to one of a more liberal and equally religious character, comprehending all denominations of Christians.
A sufficient number of Shares has already been taken in the "Huddersfield College" to make its speedy establishment more than probable.
- (Signed) GEORGE HIGHFIELD,
- Provisional Secretary.
- Huddersfield, May 19th, 1838.
Extract from A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
Huddersfield College was founded by a proprietary of gentlemen of various religious denominations, upon the plan of the schools attached to the London University College, and was opened on the 21st of January, 1839. The buildings, which are situated on an elevated and salubrious site on the Halifax road, were erected at an expense of £5000, and form a handsome structure of stone, in the later English style, occupying an area 108 feet square. In the centre is the grand hall, loftier than the surrounding buildings, with projecting turrets at the angles, and an embattled parapet crowned by pinnacles.
Extract from Tindall's Huddersfield Directory (1866):
The Huddersfield College in the New North Road was established in 1838 for the purpose of affording, at a moderate expense, a superior collegiate and commercial education upon a scriptual basis.
Historic England Listing
- Grade II
- first listed 15 February 1974
- listing entry number 1279306
NEW NORTH ROAD (North Side). Highfield Huddersfield Technical College: Department of Humanities (Highfield Annexe) [formerly listed as Newsome County Secondary School]. 1838-9. Architect: J P Pritchett of York. Formerly Huddersfield College, whose best known pupil was H H Asquith. Ashlar. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Crenellated parapet. Corner turrets. Symmetrically composed around a central 3-storey hall, in manner of Wollaton, or Inverary Castle. Front has short projecting central wing with gabled end: door with 4 moulded panels, in 4-centred arch, with side-lights, whose enclosed in traceried frame with crenellated top. 4-centred arched window with 3 lights, intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Two 2-light and one 3-light stone mullioned windows on both floors either side: those on 1st floor with arched heads to each light, and hoodmoulds. Hall has five 2-light arched windows on each side: parapet crow-stepped in centre. Rear has open arcade on ground floor, with pointed arches and chamfered jambs.