Extract from A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
Huddersfield College was founded by a proprietary of gentlemen of various religious denominations, upon the plan of the schools attached to the London University College, and was opened on the 21st of January, 1839. The buildings, which are situated on an elevated and salubrious site on the Halifax road, were erected at an expense of £5000, and form a handsome structure of stone, in the later English style, occupying an area 108 feet square. In the centre is the grand hall, loftier than the surrounding buildings, with projecting turrets at the angles, and an embattled parapet crowned by pinnacles.
NEW NORTH ROAD (North Side). Highfield Huddersfield Technical College: Department of Humanities (Highfield Annexe) [formerly listed as Newsome County Secondary School]. 1838-9. Architect: J P Pritchett of York. Formerly Huddersfield College, whose best known pupil was H H Asquith. Ashlar. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys. Crenellated parapet. Corner turrets. Symmetrically composed around a central 3-storey hall, in manner of Wollaton, or Inverary Castle. Front has short projecting central wing with gabled end: door with 4 moulded panels, in 4-centred arch, with side-lights, whose enclosed in traceried frame with crenellated top. 4-centred arched window with 3 lights, intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Two 2-light and one 3-light stone mullioned windows on both floors either side: those on 1st floor with arched heads to each light, and hoodmoulds. Hall has five 2-light arched windows on each side: parapet crow-stepped in centre. Rear has open arcade on ground floor, with pointed arches and chamfered jambs.