Huddersfield Chronicle (19/Apr/1856) - Foundation Stone Laying of the Holmfirth Monumental Alms-Houses
FOUNDATION STONE LAYING OF THE HOLMFIRTH MONUMENTAL ALMS-HOUSES.
ON Monday, the 21st of April, 1850, the FOUNDATION STONE of the ALMS-HOUSES to be Erected at Holmfirth, as a Memorial of the Flood occasioned by the bursting of the Bilberry Reservoir, on the 5th of February, 1852, and of the public munificence for the alleviation of the sufferers by that calamity, will be LAID by the Ancient Order of Freemasons, with due Masonic Honours, assisted by the Magistrates, Clergy Gentry, and the Benevolent Orders of the district.
will be Preached on the occasion by the Rev. JOHN GEORGE FARDELL, M.A., Rector of Banham, Norfolk, Chaplain to the Right Hon. the Earl of Courtown, P.P.S.G.W., and P. Pro. Grand Chaplain of West Yorkshire, after which a collection will be made in aid of the Fund intended to be raised for the Endowment of the Alms-houses.
At the close of the service the Procession will re form and proceed direct to the ground, when the ceremony of the Stone Laying will take place at Two o’clock, commencing with the singing of a suitable Ode, and concluding with the National Anthem.
The following will be the order of procession to be observed:—
- The Conductors of the Procession on Horseback.
- The Chief Constable.
- The Constables of the District.
- The Magistrates.
- The Clergy and Ministers.
- The Architect and Builder.
- The Committee.
- A Band of Music.
- THE FREEMASONS.
- The Churchwardens, Overseers, and Guardians of the Poor.
- Gentlemen and Tradesmen.
- The Benevolent Orders of the District.
A portion of the ground will be reserved for admission by Ticket only, to be had of Mr. Crosland, printer, or any of the Committee, at One Shilling each. Early application is requested.
In addition to the ordinary trains, a Special Train will leave Huddersfield for Holmfirth at 9.30 a.m., calling at all the intermediate stations, and returning at 9.30 p.m.
- ABEL CUTTELL, Chief Constable.
Holmfirth, 15th April, 1856.
N.B. — The Committee take the present opportunity of apprising the public, that a Ladies’ BAZAAR for the purpose of promoting the endowment of the Alms-houses, will be held in the month of September next, towards which, contributions in money or articles will be thankfully received, and are respectfully solicited. Communications in furtherance of this object to be addressed to Mrs. Leach, the President of the Ladies’ Committee, at the Parsonage; to the Secretaries of the Alms-houses Endowment Fund ; or to James Charlesworth, Esq., the Treasurer, all of Holmfirth.