Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Sep/1868) - The Municipal Corporation: Its Working and Machinery
MUNICIPAL BOROUGH OF HUDDERSFIELD.
CHARTER OF INCORPORATION.
I, the undersigned Edgar Fenton, the person appointed by her Majesty‘s Royal Charter of Incorporation of the Borough of Huddersfield, in the West Riding of the county of York, dated at Westminster, the 7th day of July, 1868, to act as Returning Officer at the First Election of Councillors of the said Borough, do HEREBY PUBLISH and DECLARE that the following PERSONS have been duly ELECTED COUNCILLORS of the said BOROUGH, for the several Wards thereof hereinafter stated, in pursuance of and in accordance with the provisions of the said Royal Charter, and of the Acts of Parliament now in force for the Regulation of Municipal Corporations in England, and applicable to the said Borough of Huddersfield, that is to say :—
FOR WEST WARD.
- Mr. WILLIAM LIDSTER, Fitzwilliam Street, Huddersfield, Plumber.
- Mr. CHARLES HENRY JONES, George Street, Huddersfield, Railway Director.
- Mr. DAVID SYKES, Croft House, Marsh, Woollen Spinner.
- Mr. CHARLES HIRST, Brunswick Place, Huddersfield, Woolstapler.
- Mr. JOSEPH WOODHEAD, Woodthorpe, Huddersfield, Newspaper Proprietor.
- Mr. JAMES JORDAN, Dalton, Manufacturer.
FOR NORTH WARD.
- Mr. WRIGHT MELLOR, Cote Royd, Lindley, Merchant.
- Mr. ROBERT SKILBECK, Edgerton, Merchant.
- Mr. HENRY HIRST, Jun., Commercial Street, Huddersfield, Manufacturer.
- Mr. EDWARD CLAYTON, Spring Street, Huddersfield, Bookseller.
- Mr. JAMES HADFIELD, Castlegate, Huddersfield, Pawnbroker.
- Mr. JOHN FAWCETT, Green Street, Huddersfield, Builder.
FOR CENTRAL WARD.
- Mr. THOMAS WILLIAM CLOUGH, Priest Royd House, Huddersfield, Solicitor.
- Mr. JOSEPH HIRST, 20 New North Road, Huddersfield, Merchant Tailor.
- Mr. JOHN HELLAWELL, Buxton Road, Huddersfield, Corn Dealer.
FOR EAST WARD.
- Mr. ROBERT APPLETON, Queen Street, Huddersfield, Cotton Spinner.
- Mr. READ HOLLIDAY, Lunn Clough Hall, Edgerton, Gentleman.
- Mr. JOSPEH BENSON, New North Road, Huddersfield, Leather Cutter.
FOR SOUTH WARD.
- Mr. JOHN ECCLES, Firth Street, Aspley, Cotton Spinner.
- Mr. JOHN PRIESTLEY, East Parade, Huddersfield, Cotton Spinner.
- Mr. WILLIAM WHITE, Ramsden Street, Huddersfield, Silk Dealer.
FOR MARSH WARD.
- Mr. JAMES CROSLAND, Royds Mount, Marsh, Manufacturer.
- Mr. DANIEL CALVERLEY, Marsh, Merchant.
- Mr. ALAN BROOK HAIGH, Paddock, Manufacturer.
FOR FARTOWN WARD.
- Mr. GEORGE SCHOLES, Clough Cottage, Fartown, Yarn Spinner.
- Mr. HENRY LISTER, Woodside, Fartown, Yarn Spinner.
- Mr. JOSEPH STORK, Newhouse, Sheepridge, Yarn Spinner.
FOR DALTON, BRADLEY, AND DEIGHTON WARD.
- Mr. HENRY BROOKE, Dalton, Manufacturer.
- Mr. JAMES SCHOLES, Bradley, Farmer.
- Mr. JAMES STARKEY, Deighton, Manufacturer.
FOR MOLDGREEN WARD.
- Mr. JOSEPH BYRAM, Moldgreen, Ironmonger.
- Mr. JOHN DAY, Bankfield House, Moldgreen, Manufacturer and Yarn Spinner.
- Mr. ISAAC ROBSON, Broad Lane, Dalton, Dyer.
FOR LOCKWOOD WARD.
- Mr. CHARLES CROSLAND, Crosland Lodge, Manufacturer.
- Mr. ALFRED CROWTHER, Lockwood, Manufacturer.
- Mr. WILLIAM DALE, 53 Spring Street, Huddersfield, Lead Pipe Manufacturer.
FOR ALMONDBURY AND NEWSOME WARD.
- Mr. JOHN VARLEY, Berry Brow, Coal Merchant.
- Mr. GEORGE ARLOM, Bumroyd House, Almondbury, Farmer.
- Mr. ROGER HOUGHTON, Northgate, Almondbury, Manufacurer.
FOR LINDLEY—CUM—QUARMBY WARD.
- Mr. FRED WALKER, Park House, Lindley, Woollen Manufacturer.
- Mr. EDWARD JOHN WOOD WATERHOUSE, Holly Bank, Lindley, Coal Proprietor.
- Mr. BENJAMIN HALL HATTERSLEY, Myrtle Grove, Quarmby, Woollen Manufacturer.
And I do hereby return them as such Councillors of the said Borough of Huddersfield accordingly.
Given under my hand this 4th day of September, A.D. 1868.
EDGAR FENTON, Returning Officer.