Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Nov/1859) - Consecration of Christ Church, Helme

The following is a transcription of a historic newspaper article and may contain occasional errors.

Consecration of Christ Church, Helme.

This edifice, which has been erected as a memorial of the late Charles John Brook, Esq., of Thickhollins, by his surviving brothers and sisters, was consecrated, on Thursday last, by the Lord Bishop of Ripon. The edifice is a handsome structure, situate in a very conspicuous part, from which is obtained a view of the whole district around. The district is a scattered and poor one, and the inhabitants cannot feel too grateful that it has been wisely put into the hearts of such kind benefactors to erect an altar in their midst. The period of architecture selected is the latter part of the "Fourteenth Century," when the distinctive characteristics of the decorated style were rapidly developing. The church consists of a nave, with north and south aisle, and chancel. The tower is placed at the south-west angle, and is about 82 feet in height, the spire of which is of wood, covered with oak shingles. A vestry is also provided at the northeast angle. The sides of the edifice are divided into bays by handsome buttresses, and the porch is placed on the south side in the second bay. It is of wood, and upon the facia board is carved this inscription, "This is none other but the house of God, this is the gate of Heaven." Its internal dimensions are, exclusive of the chancel, 57 feet long by 40 feet 6 inches wide. The chancel is 24 feet 6 inches long, making the total length 81 feet 6 inches. The church will seat about 350 persons. It is entirely constructed of a local stone, and principally from the Royd Edge Quarries. The inside is faced with ashlar, neatly pointed. The aisle and nave are separated by bold and handsome pointed arches, four on each side, which are supported on massive stone pillars, composed each of one stone only. The roof is of a high pitch, all the timbers of which are seen from the inside ; it is covered with dark red tiles. The church is heated by hot water. The whole building is surrounded by a substantial wall, which is finished with a neat coping. A picturesque "Lych gate" forms the south entrance into the churchyard. There were about 40 clergymen present on the occasion, and a large concourse or laymen from various quarters. The edifice was incapable of affording adequate accommodation to the great number of visitors present, so that many had to content themselves with remaining outside. Prayers were read by the Rev. James Brook, incumbent; the gospel by the Rev. Alfred Brook ; the epistle by the Rev. Lewis Jones, vicar of Almondbury ; the first lesson by the Rev. Arthur Brook ; and the second lesson by the Rev. F. G. Blomfield. The sermon was preached by the Lord Bishop. His text was the 11th chapter of St. Luke, 13th verse, on which he founded a most eloquent and impressive discourse, rivetting the attention of his hearers, ana melting many to tears. He said his heart overflowed with gratitude, at the thought that God, in His providence, bad caused His tabernacle to be placed in the midst of these poor people. After the ceremony was over, the bishop, clergy, and a number of gentlemen dined together, at the residence of the incumbent, the Rev. James Brook. We understand the church is to be endowed with a stipend of £150 per annum. Messrs. Pritchett and Sons, of Huddersfield, are the architects. Sermons are to be preached on Sunday next, in the morning by the Rev. Jas. Brook, incumbent, and a collection made for the Bible Society ; in the after-noon the Rev. G. Hough will preach, and a collection will be made for the Church Pastoral Aid Society. On Thursday evening a tea-party was given, at which a large number were present. After tea, the Rev. James Brook was called to the chair, and a very pleasant and agreeable evening was spent. Excellent addresses were delivered by the Revs. G. Hough, — Davies, E. C. Ince, Alfred Brook, Arthur Brook, Charles Brook, jun., Esq., and Alfred Beaumont, Esq.

Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Nov/1859) - Consecration of Christ Church, Helme

Categories

Articles about Christ Church, Helme | Articles from 1859 | Articles from the 1850s | Newspaper articles
This page was last modified on 4 July 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed