Huddersfield Chronicle (04/Mar/1876) - Shelley: Benefit Building Society, at Shelley

The following is a transcription of a historic newspaper article and may contain occasional errors.

SHELLEY.

Benefit Building Society, at Shelley.

In December last a requisition signed by 28 of the inhabitants of Shelley was sent to the Huddersfield Equitable Permanent Benefit Building Society, John William Street, asking the directors to form a branch at Shelley, The matter was laid before them at the following Board meeting, when a deputation, consisting of Mr. Councillor Joseph Hirst, Mr. Frederick Crosland, and the secretary (Mr. Henry Kaye), were appointed to visit Shelley and form there a branch of the society, should they consider it desirable. The deputation attended at a meeting of the intending members, at the Liberal Clubrooms, which had been called by Mr. William Goldthorp, one of the chief promoters of this object. Messrs. Hirst and Crosland explained very clearly the necessary steps to be taken previous to a branch being formed, and urged upon the young men present the importance of cultivating habits of saving. They also pointed out the advantages to be derived from joining a well-established building society, and stated that the one which they represented had advanced over £100,000 without any loss having been incurred. At a subsequent meeting it was finally arranged that a branch should be established at Shelley, and that Mr. Wright Barden be appointed agent. The first meeting was held at the Liberal Clubrooms, on Monday evening, 28th February, 1876, when 29 members joined the branch, taking up 42 2/5 shares.

Huddersfield Chronicle (04/Mar/1876) - Shelley: Benefit Building Society, at Shelley

Categories

Articles about Shelley | Articles about the Huddersfield Building Society | Articles from 1876 | Articles from the 1870s | Newspaper articles
This page was last modified on 2 November 2015 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed