Huddersfield Chronicle

HuddersfieldChronicleMasthead.png


The Huddersfield Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser — more commonly referred to as the Huddersfield Chronicle — was a local newspaper published from April 1850 to June 1916.

History

Founded by proprietors John James Skyrme and Robert Micklethwaite, the first edition of the weekly newspaper was published on 6 April 1850 from small offices in a yard (likely Chancery Close) situated between the Market Place and Chancery Lane.

The first edition contained a lengthy editorial setting out the aim of the newspaper:

In Local Affairs, we aim at becoming the impartial chroniclers of the opinions of public men, not only in Huddersfield, but in the leading-towns and densely-populated villages surrounding it, reserving to ourselves the right to comment upon their principles and the tendency of their course of policy. To effect this latter object more completely than any of our contemporaries, arrangements are made, or in the course of being made, with a series of efficient Correspondents in the majority of the leading villages around us, whose intelligence will be drawn from authentic sources, and free from personal or party bias.

In Politics, our views will be decidedly Liberal and Progressive. We aim at adhering to what good men conserve from the past ; but shall, at the same time, pride ourselves on being among the foremost pioneers of improvement in the future. Where an evil exists, we shall boldly assail it, whether in connection with National or Local Government.

Free Trade will find in us consistent advocates, from a conviction of its justness in principle, and its instrumentality in bettering the condition of the great masses of the people. We desire, therefore, to see the principle extended beyond its present limited range. If, on the other hand, the Agricultural Interest can show a clear case for Government interference, with the view to equalise the burthens of the Commonwealth, we shall be fully prepared to meet the arguments on legitimate grounds.

Conceiving that the most crying evils under which the masses of this kingdom labour are involved in our ill-devised social arrangements, and believing that political power should wait upon educated capacity, in order that men may use it with wisdom and sound discretion—we shall advocate, with perfect independence, a system of National Education for all, to be paid for by the contributions of all. This we shall endeavour to enforce with efficiency, and without wishing, intentionally, to give offence to those who may entertain different views.

Having a watchful eye to the reduction of National Taxation, which we conceive to have exceeded the essential requirements of Government, and the capabilities of the great body of those called on to contribute thereto, we shall support every measure of sound Reform in this department, which does not, in its consequences, imperil the efficiency of our National Defences. Against the present abuse of the Pension List we shall constantly raise our voice in terms of uncompromising remonstrance, until that class of the nation’s expenditure be thoroughly re-modelled.

The newspaper's main rival, the Huddersfield & Holmfirth Examiner (later Huddersfield Examiner) began as a weekly publication on 6 September 1851.

The partnership of Skyrme and Micklethwaite was dissolved on 31 May 1852, with Skyrme continuing the business.[1] He was soon joined by manufacturer Thomas P. Crosland and solicitor Cookson S. Floyd, but Skyrme left this partnership in June 1855 and later died in August 1858 in Devon.[2]

By the end of 1853, the newspaper had relocated offices to Kirkgate which were later extended onto Cross Church Street. At the start of July 1855, it began a short-lived Tuesday edition of the newspaper priced at 2d. for 4 pages. Poor sales led to the newspaper reverting to a weekly edition before the end of the month.[3]

Joshua Hobson was the newspaper's editor from 1855 to 1871, after which he left to become the editor the Huddersfield Weekly News & South West Yorkshire Record.

By the end of the 1860s, the offices were providing inadequate and a new building (designed by local architect William Cocking) were erected on Lord Street, opening in October 1870.

The Huddersfield Examiner moved to printing a weekday edition in early January 1871 and the Chronicle quickly followed, launching the Huddersfield Daily Chronicle on Monday 30 January.

The Chronicle ceased publication in June 1916, having reportedly reverted to a weekly publication in December 1915.

Notes and References

  1. "Legal Notices" in Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Jun/1852).
  2. "Public Notices" in Huddersfield Chronicle (09/Jun/1855).
  3. The three Tuesday editions were published on 3, 10 and 17 July 1855.