Huddersfield Broad Canal
The Huddersfield Broad Canal, originally known as Sir John Ramsden's Canal or more simply the Ramsden Canal, is a 3¾ mile (6km) long wide-locked navigable canal that opened in 1776 and cost around £12,000 to build. It was funded by Sir John Ramsden (1755-1839), who was keen to promote trade to the town.
Discovering Old Huddersfield
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
In 1774 an Act of Parliament authorised the construction of a canal from the River Calder at Cooper Bridge to a terminus near the King's Mill on the River Colne. The work, which was completed in 1780, resulted in a broad canal just over three and a half miles long with a total rise of ninety three feet through nine locks. The Sir John Ramsden Canal (so called after its sponsor) joined the Calder and Hebble Navigation through a storm lock at Cooper Bridge and so gave Huddersfield a waterway link with Wakefield, Leeds and the Midlands. Unlike the Huddersfield Narrow Canal the Ramsden Canal has always remained navigable along most of its length and in the 1970s it underwent something of a renaissance as a result of the growing popularity of pleasure boating. The present-day bridge which carries Hillhouse Lane over the canal was built in 1905. Despite the all pervasive influence of Kirklees the bridge is still embellished with the Coat of Arms granted to the Borough of Huddersfield in 1868.