This page is currently under construction and isn't complete yet!
The Huddersfield Board of Guardians were the body responsible for the implementation of the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 within the boundaries of the Huddersfield Poor Law Union, which comprised the townships within the four parishes of Huddersfield, Almondbury, Kirkburton and Kirkheaton.
This section is under construction.
An election for five Huddersfield guardians was held on held on 12 April 1850. The successful candidates were innkeeper Joseph Bottomley of Westgate (1300 votes), tinner & brazier Jonathan Leech of King Street (1201), cardmaker Henry Charlesworth of Chapel Hill (1132), Joseph Johnson of Fitzwilliam Street (1083), and plumber Thomas Hayley of Market Place (1078).
The Leeds Intelligencer reported the new board as comprising:
- David Addy (Shepley), George Barber (Austonley), Harry Booth (Wooldale), Joseph Bottomley (Huddersfield), Samuel Brighouse (Lindley-cum-Quarmby), Henry Charlesworth (Huddersfield), William Dale (Lockwood), Joseph Eastwood (Meltham), Richard Haigh (Honley), Thomas Haley (Huddersfield), Charles Hallas (Farnley Tyas), James Hirst (Marsden-in-Almondbury), Benjamin Hirst (Thurstonland), James Holmes (Hepworth), Thomas Iveson (Wooldale), Matthew Thomas Jessop (Lepton), Joseph Johnson (Huddersfield), Jonathan Leech (Huddersfield), Joshua Littlewood (Cartworth), Levi Lumb (Scammonden), Rev. James Morris Maxfield (Marsden-in-Huddersfield), David Mellor (Almondbury), Crispin Mellor (South Crosland), John Moodycliffe (Upperthong), Sidney Moorhouse (Fulstone), William North (Dalton), John Oates (Cumberworth), Joseph Pogson (Lingards), John Quarmby (Longwood), George Roberts (Linthwaite), James Robinson (Honley), George Robinson (Netherton), John Shaw (Almondbury), Joseph Stevenson (Shelley), Charles Stockwell (Whitley Upper), Matthew Sykes (Golcar), John Sykes (Kirkburton), Benjamin Sykes (Slaithwaite), James Tolson (Kirkheaton), and Abraham Wood (Cumberworth-Half)
Notes and References
- ↑ "Huddersfield Union" in Huddersfield Chronicle (13/Apr/1850).